Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Why do we need SOA? (proposal for Introduction text)

Duane - - I wouldn't lose sleep over the term "business."  We (in Government) use it all the time as synonymous with "mission".  We talk about "business case", "business value", "business impact", "business owner" and "business process."  It often is used to contrast with "non-business" functions or considerations like "support" or "infrastructure" or "administrative" or "compliance".

Martin

________________________________

From: Duane Nickull [mailto:dnickull@adobe.com]
Sent: Tue 5/10/2005 12:05 PM
Cc: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org

I would object to any statement or notion that made SOA only SOA in the
context of 'business', however I think I understand the intent of the
statement and agree.  Business is one type of user.  Department of
Homeland Security is not a business yet they ill have SOA (at least
Martin hasn't tried to sell me anything yet ;-)

Perhaps we could re-state it as an IT need, written in a way that speaks
to business and government users.  This is harder than it appears and I
failed at it miserably but would love to hear your guys take.

Something like (but not) this:

"SOA is an architectural  model developed to enable those who build and
maintain IT systems to repurpose components rapidly for new
functionality.  This enables them to respond quickly and in an
economically efficient manner to new requirements"

Does that make sense?

Duane

Chiusano Joseph wrote:

> Sally,
>
> I like your comment regarding SOA being a response for business, and I
> believe it is completely true. A general question for us: Since we are
> approaching SOA from the technical perspective (at least that is my
> understanding), wouldn't it be out of our scope to refer to the
> business aspects of SOA (i.e. that SOA encapsulates business services
> in....etc. etc.)?
>
> Joe
>
> Joseph Chiusano
> Booz Allen Hamilton
> Visit us online@ http://www.boozallen.com <http://www.boozallen.com/>

Chair - OASIS Service Oriented Architecture Reference Model Technical Committee -
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=soa-rm
Adobe Enterprise Developer Resources  - http://www.adobe.com/enterprise/developer/main.html