Subject: Re: [soa-rm] [issue:structure] draft 07, sect 2, line 201, Figure 2-1

Hello Behera:

One of the challenges in architecture is determining the best way to
document what you mean.  We opted to use a rather abstract stack diagram
then elaborate with text.  This approach is used very commonly to convey
meaning.

Since this is a reference model, not an architecture, cardinality of
instances is not shown.  We stick to the abstract.  Cardinality of
instances would be better suited for a reference or concrete
architecture.  The drawing of one "service" in an abstract model leaves
it open to "* service(s)" in a concrete architecture.  The same applies
for other aspects such as security and semantics.  The concept only is
represented, not the number of specific instances.  This in no way means
you cannot have more than one service.

As for choreography, the jury is still out however most of the group
seems to think that the concept of process, choreography or
orchestration of multiple services is a layer that lives over top of
SOA.  SOA is the ground layer.  A service does not need to determine or
know if it is being called as a single service invocation or whether it
is being invoked as a set of services coordinated by something higher
up.  That something higher up is where the coordination lives.

To me, it seems highly likely that a POA reference model is also needed
to clarify the other side of this equation.

Best wishes..

Duane

Behera, Prasanta wrote:

>I also agree that we have to show the relationships otherwise it is hard to understand.
>
>Does the  SOA model consist of a single service? The diagram shows a single service.  The second line of Section 2 says " A service is an element ... " Is that the only type of element or there are others? The "loosely-coupled" notion of services is an important paradigm for SOA (IMHO) which we are not discussing.  Maybe a statement saying that "SOA consists of a set of services ... ". The power of SOA is that you have a set of services and a mechanism to leverage the services (via choreography).   (Sorry if I have taken this off track ...)
>
>On a lighter note (for the weekend).
>I came across SOF (It's a framework not an architecture), SOIF (Integration Framework), ... in a SOA conference.
>The terminology seems to explode like the WS-* specifications
>
>Thanks,
>/Prasanta

Chair - OASIS Service Oriented Architecture Reference Model Technical Committee -
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=soa-rm
Adobe Enterprise Developer Resources  - http://www.adobe.com/enterprise/developer/main.html