Subject: Re: [soa-rm] FYI: BEA SOA Reference Diagram

Duane,

I understand your saying the OSI stack doesn't show multiple communications
entities, but for some reason that seems okay for them and not satisfying
for us.  Go figure!

The essence of a SOA is multiple services coming together to satisfy a set
of needs.  I think we need to make it clear that we are talking about
generic services, that specific instances of the services are likely
present (such as security) but the relationship between services follow a
general patterns, and where we show multiple services we are showing
notional examples that do not represent a literal pattern that must be
followed.  We must be explicit about what is a fundamental concept and what
is an illustrative example of a concept.

While saying a reference model shouldn't need to show multiple services may
be correct, we gain nothing if it cannot be understood by our audience.

Ken

At 01:37 PM 5/18/2005, Duane Nickull wrote:
>Frank is right.  We are not writing an SOA, we are building a reference
>model.  I would refer all back to my earlier posts on this subject.
>
>Reference models generally avoid any concrete detail, such as showing two
>services.  In abstract, there are no multiple concrete  instances of services.
>Case in point - look at the ISO reference model (7 layer stack).  It is a
>communication stack.  It's whole purpose is to act as a reference model
>for building networks yet it does not show two "things" communicating.
>
>I am not saying the BEA bits are not useful.  We just need to keep
>vigilant in the concepts being abstract.
>
>For those who wish to work on a SOA Reference Architecture, this is
>probably a logical next sub project once the RM is complete.
>
>Duane
>
>Frank McCabe wrote:
>
>>The diagram does not help me very much ...:)
>>
>>I agree, however, that combining services seems to me to be an
>>integral part of service oriented architectures.
>>
>>However, we are *not* doing an SOA!!! At least, that is my
>>understanding.
>>
>>Instead, we are examining (!) the concepts and relationships that are
>>important in modeling SOAs.
>><SNIP>

   /   Ken
Laskey                                                                \
  |    MITRE Corporation, M/S H305    phone:  703-983-7934   |
  |    7515 Colshire Drive                    fax:      703-983-1379   |
   \   McLean VA 22102-7508                                              /

*** note: phone number changed 4/15/2005 to 703-983-7934 ***