Subject: Re: [soa-rm] SOA System

Michael,

On 18-May-05, at 5:55 PM, Michael Stiefel wrote:

Matt, re your comment that "SO is OO, basically, with some value-add infrastructure such as discovery and description."

Now this raises an interesting point in our definition of service abstraction. Normally people cite as one of the differences between SO and OO the fact that the former is more loosely coupled.

Would you maintain that OO systems that can work with wire formats of object systems (such as COM and CORBA) that allowed runtime dynamic binding of heterogenous systems fall into the SO category?

I maintain that in certain situations that they *could* fall into the SO category.  I think that the "loosely coupled" argument is sort of weak, because I am not completely certain that even things like web services end up creating loosely coupled systems!

Or do you see looser coupling as a useful feature that is much more easily achieved with newer implementation technologies such as Web services, and therefore have nothing to do with SO.

I love loose coupling...but yeah, I do just view it as "a good thing", and not a necessary element of SOA.

-matt