Subject: Re: [soa-rm] FYI: BEA SOA Reference Diagram

The current definition of a service in the glossary is:
"A behavior or set of behaviors offered by one entity for use by another
according to a policy and in line with a service description"

Given that any/every entity is implicitly or explicitly the bearer of a (set
of) behaviour(s), any entity is implicitly a service provider (particularly
if we accept that "service" includes the use by one entity of any resource
managed by another): it is the conception of "actions/events that cross a
boundary" (to paraphrase Frank's comment) between entities that defines our
service-oriented model...

-Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Francis McCabe [mailto:fgm@fla.fujitsu.com]
Sent: 18 May 2005 20:32
To: Duane Nickull
Cc: SOA-RM

Well, I think the issue here is what modeling concepts are required in order
to model multiple services. The OSI stack does not need to mention the
multiple parties because modeling communication does not require the
modeling of the parties; it effectively only models the medium of
communication.

For us, the issue will only arise if we need to model the relationships
between services. For a straw man example, if sequence or other dependency
was part of being a service then we would need to model services as
resources.

I guess, my intuition is that service qua service is very much akin to
communication as medium. Hence my phrase that service was an action
boundary.

We spent many months in the W3C trying determine what a service really was;
and although we did not use the phrase action boundary; we would have had we
thought of it!

Frank