Subject: RE: [soa-rm] SOA System

"CORBA services":

http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://www.omg.org/technology/d
ocuments/corbaservices_spec_catalog.htm&e=9707
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=3&q=http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.j
sp%3FEID%3D1023&e=9707
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=4&q=http://www.unix.org.ua/orelly/j
ava-ent/jenut/ch11_01.htm&e=9707
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=10&q=http://bdn.borland.com/corba/c
orbaservices/0,1418,10035,00.html&e=9707
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=9&q=http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmid
t/ACE_wrappers/TAO/docs/orbsvcs.html&e=9707
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=7&q=http://www.prismtechnologies.co
m/&e=9707
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=11&q=http://www.javaolympus.com/J2S
E/NETWORKING/CORBA/CORBAServices.jsp&e=9707
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=15&q=http://linuxfinances.info/info
/corbaservices.html&e=9707
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=19&q=http://www.redhat.com/docs/man
uals/rhaps/jonas-guide/s1-jon-corba.html&e=9707
...and on and on...

> Services are fairly specific kinds of objects that do
> something. It is about as close to an actual verb as we get.
> We'd like it to be something useful, but that is in the eye
> or infrastructure of the beholder. I don't think we can
> actually stipulate that at this level of abstraction. An SOA
> needs a Service and a Service Consumer, in my opinion, to
> become an architecture, with a small a.

Yes! This is why one of my submitted issues suggested that "Service
Consumer" and "Service Provider" be added as components in our RM - i.e.
added to Figure 2-1.

> A service by itself
> is more akin to sound of one hand clapping.

+1. I believe it (what you describe just above) is "service
orientation", not "SOA".

> While it may have a lot in common with CORBA, and other OO
> constructs, I think that is pretty specific.
>
> For an SOA with capital A? Do we even want to consider that?
> I thought we did at the start, but I don't now.

I still am 100% confident our TC is divided on the issues of "what are
we trying to represent?" and "what should we be representing?". I
mentioned this on April 12[1], and it appears to have gotten worse
instead of better since then....

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/soa-rm/200504/msg00247.html

Joe

Kind Regards,