Subject: RE: [soa-rm] David Linthicum Says: "ESB versus Fabric.Stop It!"

Yes - I think it is worth putting this illustration into the doc

-----Original Message-----
From: Duane Nickull [mailto:dnickull@adobe.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 12:57 PM
Cc: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org

RA means Reference Architecture.  As per the previous emails on this
subject, it is a generalized architecture.

The relationship is that architects use a RM as a guiding model when
building a RA.

For example, if you are architecting a house, an RM may explain the
concepts of gravity, a 3D environment, walls, foundations, floors,
roofs, ceilings etc.  It is abstract however.  There is nothing specific
like a wall with measurements such as 8 feet high.  Note that the RM has
only one each of these things - it does not have 4, 16, 23 walls, just
one as a concept.

The architect may uses this model to create a specific architecture for
a specific house (accounting for such things as property, incline,
climate etc) or an architect MAY elect to use it to build a more
generalized reference architecture.  The latter is often done by
architects who design houses.  When they sell a house, they must often
re-architect the RA for specific implementation details such as incline
of land, climate, facing the sun etc..

So why do we need a RM?  Simple - we now have logical divisions amongst
the components of a house and what they mean.  That way, when a company
says " we are a flooring company..", that is meaningful since we all
know what that means.  The same applies to a roofing company.  Without
the basic consensus on the logical divisions, a roofing contractor may
also try to include the ceiling and walls as part of his offerings.
That would not work and not allow the general contractor to build a
house very easily since there may not be consensus upon the division of
labor and components to build the house.

Do you guys think an explanation of this nature may be good to include
in the introduction section?

Duane