Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Revisiting: Definition of Service Orientation and how it relates to SOA

One can think of Service Orientation as separation of concerns. Today we
have significant overlap between operations and development during run time
of a system. In Service Oriented Architecture that overlap is removed.

Removal of overlap or SOA allows articulation of business needs in IT's
language without requiring the services of a developer.

Vikas

-----Original Message-----
From: Metz Rebekah [mailto:metz_rebekah@bah.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 2:29 PM
To: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [soa-rm] Revisiting: Definition of Service Orientation and how it
relates to SOA

All -
I recently asked some of my colleagues to share their thoughts on
Service Orientation and what truly distinguishes Service Oriented
Architecture from other distributed computing architectures.

Some of their comments called out to me the bias that we, as
technologists, often maintain unwittingly.  I thought these comments
were pertinent to the recent discussions and debate that has occurred in
the SOA-RM TC.

"We invariably impose our knowledge of technology or system
functionality (how you do things) into discussions of operational
capabilities or activities (what needs to be done)."

Service Orientation:  "Is that an 'orientation towards services'? If so,
who is doing the orienting? Is there another position that would be
opposite 'services'? What would we call that?  What's the polar opposite
of services?"

"I think that one of the most important things to grasp is that the
service in "service-oriented" has nothing to do with IT, systems,
implementation, etc.  It's an operational concept, for example in DoDAF
vocabulary, a discussion on the OV side of the equation."

In particular, I think that reaching consensus on the answers to these
questions will help us along in determining what is versus is not a
critical part of the RM.

Rebekah

Rebekah Metz
Associate