Subject: Re: [soa-rm] David Linthicum Says: "ESB versus Fabric.Stop It!"

Sadly, a reference model for reference models is not available to my
knowledge.  Such may be a good project of at least guidelines for
creating RM's.

One thing that may be useful is to depict where SOA could sit in
relationship to the OSI stack and the concept of orchestration/process
coordination, process management etc.  This would have the unfortunate
consequence of placing SOA only in a network environment which may be
too constraintive.

To substantiate the claim of a single service in its RM, look at the OSI
RM below.  It has only one of each thing.  It is a communication stack
so one might expect that you need two or each (one to send, one to
receive).  Only one exist since it is a reference model, not an
infrastructure or architecture.  It has multiple layers however each
layer represents a single concept, not two or more of each thing.  That
is due to the abstract nature of the RM.

I hope this is sufficient.

Duane