Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Revisiting: Definition of Service Orientation and how itrelates to SOA

I love this question - very tough to answer ;-)

Metz Rebekah wrote:

>Service Orientation:  "Is that an 'orientation towards services'? If so,
>who is doing the orienting? Is there another position that would be
>opposite 'services'? What would we call that?  What's the polar opposite
>of services?"

It would be interesting to pose this question to the analysts and press
who talk about SOA a lot.

Collected thoughts so far from this TC?

1. The opposite of SOA is duplication of functionality in every
application that needs it.  (paraphrased from Joseph's comment on "Re
purposing").
2. The opposite of SOA is procedural duplication of functionality that
is constrained to only being consumed by one process/thread rather than
multiple processes and threads.
3. SOA is more than OO; it is OO with a set of separate elements to
address it working over multiple environments.
4. A system that is tightly bound where two endpoints can communicate
only with each other and not accept any other endpoints into their MEP's
may be a bad design but still quality as SOA.  Question: If such a
system exists and there are dependencies between the endpoints, is it SOA?

I am probably not making sense anymore.  Time to quit....