Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Revisiting: Definition of Service Orientation and how it relates to SOA

Lot of good points - let's see if I can do something useful with them.

First, a service is not a unit of IT (although one of its
representations may be) but the "doorway" to the means to accomplish
some task.  (I'm still thinking of the "means" as being a resource, but
humor me for the moment.)  So service-orientation enables one to access
various capabilities, ranging from an atomic level to some fairly
sophisticated combinations.  A SOA is the structure that makes service
orientation possible.

Who does the orienting?  Well, the combined wisdom of the TC seems to
be the one orienting the higher level concepts so that a service
provider can orient their delivered capabilities and the service
consumer can orient the solution to their problem (by dealing with
capabilities and not IT units).

Now, think of code you write.  You have something you want to
accomplish, a capability you want to develop, but then you have to make
this robust and usable to a more general community and tailorable to
different communities and ...  So now you build in error checking and
error handling.  Wouldn't it be nice to give a list of constraints and
have something else do the checking and sending back messages to the
external sources of errors?  Now things work and I have to format the
output.  Do I like formatting the output or do I want to develop more
capability?  Crystal Reports made a business of providing a report
generation application.  Wouldn't a similar service be nice?  So one of
the things a SOA supports is doing the work you want to do and
outsourcing the drudgery or the things (such as security) that you are
just not expert enough to do.

For more flexibility, I don't just want one service to take the
undesirable work off my hands, I want a choice.  And because I know
that my choice may change depending on circumstances, I want to
dynamically make the choice.  (Don't you hate it when you get a wedding
invitation and you have to decide what you want to eat a month from
now?)  Or even if not with zero latency, I want to be able to easily
change my choice. I need services to be interchangeable.

And I don't want my choice to lock me into a whole set of other
choices.  I go to buy a car and I want airbags but I can only get these
if I get power windows!  I want an interoperability of my choices along
with interchangeability of parts that I choose.

Finally, what is the polar opposite of services?  The polar opposite is
NIH, not invented here.  Service orientation says I want to do as
little by myself as possible.  There are people out there who are
smarter than me and do some things better than me and I'm going to make
use of that expertise whenever I can.  That takes a certain level of
trust because I am giving up control of the details so I can spend my
energy on the things I can best provide to others.  The opposite is
assuming everything I need to do is unique and no one can do any of it
as well as me (or as well as someone I would directly control).  Now
when you have opposites, you usually have degrees between them.  But
I'm running out of steam so someone else (if worthwhile) can come up
with intermediate states.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness presentation but it seemed to
best fit the questions.

Ken

On May 24, 2005, at 5:28 PM, Metz Rebekah wrote:

> All -
> I recently asked some of my colleagues to share their thoughts on
> Service Orientation and what truly distinguishes Service Oriented
> Architecture from other distributed computing architectures.
>
> Some of their comments called out to me the bias that we, as
> technologists, often maintain unwittingly.  I thought these comments
> were pertinent to the recent discussions and debate that has occurred
> in
> the SOA-RM TC.
>
> "We invariably impose our knowledge of technology or system
> functionality (how you do things) into discussions of operational
> capabilities or activities (what needs to be done)."
>
> Service Orientation:  "Is that an 'orientation towards services'? If
> so,
> who is doing the orienting? Is there another position that would be
> opposite 'services'? What would we call that?  What's the polar
> opposite
> of services?"
>
> "I think that one of the most important things to grasp is that the
> service in "service-oriented" has nothing to do with IT, systems,
> implementation, etc.  It's an operational concept, for example in DoDAF
> vocabulary, a discussion on the OV side of the equation."
>
> In particular, I think that reaching consensus on the answers to these
> questions will help us along in determining what is versus is not a
> critical part of the RM.
>
> Rebekah
>
> Rebekah Metz
> Associate
> Booz Allen Hamilton
> Voice:  (703) 377-1471
> Fax:     (703) 902-3457

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379