Subject: What is SOA (Really???)

There are two main areas I think we are starting to and need to maintain
focus on.

1. The core RM graphic - CoreRM8.png has been submitted and Rebekah has
submitted a variation of it.

2. The list of key tenets of SOA.

WRT #1 - we have the graphic scheduled to be discussed next Wednesday
during our conference call. I will be on vacation so will need someone
to fill in as chair for that meeting.   I would like to call for
volunteers in advance.

I will suggest that we try to arrive at consensus before the call.  If
not, we need to nail this down.  It is still open to change later, but
most of the core work depends on this graphic being agreed upon.

On #2 there are some issues I think we all agree on and some issues that
we will need to potentially vote on.
Ones I hope we agree on (please indicate ONLY if you do NOT agree by
responding to this email).

AGREED:

a. The Service Consumer is not part of the RM, it can be part of a RA.
We need to show the transition/relationship between RM and RA somewhere
in our documents to fully explain how this relates.
b. One service (one of any component) is all that will be shown inside
the RM, two or more service (or other component) instances can be shown
in a subsequent RA or other concrete architecture.
c. Messaging is not part of the RM but data model is.  RA will show
messaging (if we show a consumer in RA, messaging has to be present).
We need to discuss in the RM how the Data Model relates to the concept
of messaging in the RA or other concrete architecture.

NOT AGREED (possibly to vote on)

m. Processing model is a core part of service description.  Note that
this is different from the concept of orchestration.
n.  Is a service required to be present for a service description to be
valid.  Our current spec does not constrain it tightly enough.
o. Make an example of something that is not conformant to the SOA RM and
explain why.
p. The name of the TC's work (current is indicated as "Service Oriented
Architecture Reference Model").  We should probably set up a ballot to
q. vote on this ASAP to put it to rest for once and all.
r. Scope of RM (probably way too early to tell but worth discussing).
Jospeh has entered a comment to discuss this.
s. Resource - in / out of RM (relevant?)