Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Revisiting: Definition of Service Orientation and how it relates to SOA

Ken- - Agree that these are characteristics of SOA, but I'd say that they are mostly not DISTINGUISHING characteristics.  Modularity and re-use and interchangeability/standards are themes that have been developed over a long period of time.  OO certainly promotes both.  So does component-based AD. SOA incorporates tehse principles, for sure.

But what's the difference between component-based AD and services-oriented AD?  What does SOA add to CBD?

Martin

________________________________

From: Ken Laskey [mailto:klaskey@mitre.org]
Sent: Thu 5/26/2005 6:04 PM
To: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org

... snip

For more flexibility, I don't just want one service to take the
undesirable work off my hands, I want a choice.  And because I know
that my choice may change depending on circumstances, I want to
dynamically make the choice.  (Don't you hate it when you get a wedding
invitation and you have to decide what you want to eat a month from
now?)  Or even if not with zero latency, I want to be able to easily
change my choice. I need services to be interchangeable.

And I don't want my choice to lock me into a whole set of other
choices.  I go to buy a car and I want airbags but I can only get these
if I get power windows!  I want an interoperability of my choices along
with interchangeability of parts that I choose.

Finally, what is the polar opposite of services?  The polar opposite is
NIH, not invented here.  Service orientation says I want to do as
little by myself as possible.  There are people out there who are
smarter than me and do some things better than me and I'm going to make
use of that expertise whenever I can.  That takes a certain level of
trust because I am giving up control of the details so I can spend my
energy on the things I can best provide to others.  The opposite is
assuming everything I need to do is unique and no one can do any of it
as well as me (or as well as someone I would directly control).  Now
when you have opposites, you usually have degrees between them.