Subject: Re: [soa-rm] What is SOA (Really???)

see inline

On May 26, 2005, at 8:32 PM, Duane Nickull wrote:

> There are two main areas I think we are starting to and need to
> maintain focus on.
>
> 1. The core RM graphic - CoreRM8.png has been submitted and Rebekah
> has submitted a variation of it.

There was also another graphic variation (some of which is included in
Rebekah's version) distributed as an attachment to the Ken Laskey, May
23, 6:30 PM email.

> 2. The list of key tenets of SOA.

> WRT #1 - we have the graphic scheduled to be discussed next Wednesday
> during our conference call. I will be on vacation so will need someone
> to fill in as chair for that meeting.   I would like to call for
> volunteers in advance.
>
> I will suggest that we try to arrive at consensus before the call.  If
> not, we need to nail this down.  It is still open to change later, but
> most of the core work depends on this graphic being agreed upon.

> On #2 there are some issues I think we all agree on and some issues
> that we will need to potentially vote on.
> Ones I hope we agree on (please indicate ONLY if you do NOT agree by
> responding to this email).
>
> AGREED:
>
> a. The Service Consumer is not part of the RM, it can be part of a RA.
>  We need to show the transition/relationship between RM and RA
> somewhere in our documents to fully explain how this relates.

Agree with Rex that there is not consensus on this.

> b. One service (one of any component) is all that will be shown inside
> the RM, two or more service (or other component) instances can be
> shown in a subsequent RA or other concrete architecture.
> c. Messaging is not part of the RM but data model is.  RA will show
> messaging (if we show a consumer in RA, messaging has to be present).
> We need to discuss in the RM how the Data Model relates to the concept
> of messaging in the RA or other concrete architecture.

Not sure there is yet consensus on this either.

> NOT AGREED (possibly to vote on)
>
> m. Processing model is a core part of service description.  Note that
> this is different from the concept of orchestration.
> n.  Is a service required to be present for a service description to
> be valid.  Our current spec does not constrain it tightly enough.
> o. Make an example of something that is not conformant to the SOA RM
> and explain why.
> p. The name of the TC's work (current is indicated as "Service
> Oriented Architecture Reference Model").  We should probably set up a
> ballot to q. vote on this ASAP to put it to rest for once and all.
> r. Scope of RM (probably way too early to tell but worth discussing).
> Jospeh has entered a comment to discuss this.
> s. Resource - in / out of RM (relevant?)

Given an email archive with pushing 1700 messages, how do we
effectively cull issues and alternatives?

> Duane

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379