Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Revisiting: Definition of Service Orientation and how it relates to SOA

Ken - - Agree. I keep coming back to the idea that it's the addition of context info and the ability to process it that makes the difference.  I am convinced the "why?" is to permit exploitation of the Internet across organizational boundaries; the "how?" is by adding context info (descriptive metadata) to the service components, and the ability for negotiation of how the components can be combined. The ability to negotiate semantics, policy/contract and protocol supports diversity and choice in the global Internet "market" environment.

martin

________________________________

From: Ken Laskey [mailto:klaskey@mitre.org]
Sent: Thu 5/26/2005 10:51 PM
To: Smith, Martin
Cc: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org

Martin,

As I started answering, I realize the differences are
(1) we are combining many aspects that I do not believe have all been
previously done together and
(2) we are aiming towards a grand vision that is more dynamic than
envisioned before but for which it is not clear that the underlying
technology is really mature.

Considering (1), there is the distributed nature of the services and
the fact that these are intended to be used from their distributed
location.  This is distinguishing from OO but not necessarily CORBA.
There is also the idea of orchestration, but that also needs to be
dynamic to be different than building a more traditional application
using parts you have previously identified. There are other things we
should list but the question is whether one of the differences is this
is the first time this set has been done together.

Considering (2), a SOA is supposed to be much more dynamically
composable.  Eventually (I'm not convinced it happens much now) the
distributed interfaces will be discoverable and be able to be used
without traditional integration handshaking.  This indicates a level of
semantic negotiation that I am not sure we yet know how to do.   Also,
we are looking to collect information from diverse discoverable
sources, but I'm not sure we know how to consistently combine
information just from the descriptions of the services used to retrieve
the information.  Orchestration also should be dynamic but that
indicates an advanced level of decision support.  Then there is the
question of how to handle uncertainty and incomplete and/or
inconsistent data.  This possibly also extends to incomplete and/or
inconsistent service descriptions.

So part of the question when we talk about why SOA is different is how
much do we draw on the grand vision?  And if we include too much of the
grand vision, do we lose an incredulous audience?

Ken

On May 26, 2005, at 8:28 PM, Smith, Martin wrote:

> Ken- - Agree that these are characteristics of SOA, but I'd say that
> they are mostly not DISTINGUISHING characteristics.  Modularity and
> re-use and interchangeability/standards are themes that have been
> developed over a long period of time.  OO certainly promotes both.  So
> does component-based AD. SOA incorporates tehse principles, for sure.
>
> But what's the difference between component-based AD and
> services-oriented AD?  What does SOA add to CBD?
>
> Martin

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379