Subject: RE: [soa-rm] More on the Diagrams

Title: RE: [soa-rm] More on the Diagrams
Hi Peter,

As I said in the second sentence below: "The fact is I need to add it to my explanations of SOA and the presentations I have built over the last two years, so here it is as far as I can take it now, reflecting my own opinion."

However, as it happens, I agree with you that I should add the "etc," with regard to "Service Descriptions, T-Models , WSDL Bindings", so I have done that and have attached it.

If the TC wants to adapt it I will be happy to make the changes (and they can only be at no charge), and please remember that although I am disclosing my IPR interest, I also state that I am offering these contributions to the TC for the TC's use under the same conditions as any other contributions (that is, specifically that they are free of charge, but not necessarily unencumbered). I will be happy to produce a version that reflects the TC's position.

On the more presentational concern, those effects as of wooden drawers are unintentional. The renderer of the 3D program makes it look that way, and I won't go into the details of why this is so, nor will I burden folks with the reasons for the choices I made except to say that I made it as abstract but readable as I know how. If I have time, and this took more than I should have allotted for it, I will address those concerns. There is always a trade-off between the degree of transparency and the type of rendering algorithms one chooses.

I agree that for the model itself, as opposed to presentational or educational materials, we should stay with flat diagrams, but I can tell you from more experience than I want to recall that when attempting to explicate concepts to the less- or non-technical audiences I often make presentations for, "fancy" graphics often work where chalkboards don't.

However, we can only do our best, and, given my particular skill sets, my personal "best" requires that I attempt to translate our concepts into visual terms my experience tells me will work with some audiences within the spectrum we will be serving. On that level, we are all obliged to do our own "best" and represent our own opinons as what we think is appropriate, and on that we have every right to disagree, which we do, and I applaud you for doing so without intentionally or unintentionally being disagreeable about it.

Just as an aside, I have presentations coming up in the next few weeks where I need to use these, but I will not portray them as representing the TC. Also, just to be fairly clear, I think we are getting close to a diagram that I will be satisfied with, so I felt it was worth my effort to get this underway. I fully expect it will  need to be changed, and I will also endeavor, if I can, to make it "read" more abstractly than the illusion of wood grain presently allows.

Thanks for honest and constructive criticism.

Ciao,
Rex