Subject: What is NOT an SOA?

Duane's challenge to create examples of software architectures
which are not SOA still has me a bit puzzled and I wonder if we
can reach a better understanding of an SOA by determining
the predecessor of the SOA.

Three possible predecessors to the SOA:

Distributed Object Architectures

    Epitomized by CORBA. In a DOA all the constituents
    are objects and there exists a naming object for finding objects
    to satisfy a particular request.

Component Based Architectures

    Examples include CCA. In a CBA the components have well defined
    behaviors, standardized interfaces and their granularity should
    be such as to encourage reuse.

Client-Server Architectures

    An FTP server is a good example. In a CSA, the server encapsulates
    a set of known behaviors and the client knows how to access
    the server to activate the behaviors.

If we claim our SOA RM extends DOA, then our SOA RM should contain
the extension of an object and the extension of the naming object.

If we claim our SOA RM extends CBA, then our SOA RM need only contain
the extension of a component.

If we claim our SOA RM extends CSA, then our SOA RM should contain the
extension of the client and the server.

I am sure others can nominate more examples of base architectures
to extend from; however, this does not subtract from my conclusion
that in order to determine what are the minimum constituents for our
SOA RM, we need to determine where we are starting from and what the
minimum requirements are to significantly differentiate our SOA RM
from the base model.

-- Greg

G.A. Kohring
C&C Research Laboratories, NEC Europe Ltd.