Subject: Re: [soa-rm] My stab at an SOA-RM concept map

I do, ...

To start with ...

semantics is much like architecture: it is about concepts and the
relationships between them. In our case, however, the semantics of a
service is really about the expectations for the service: what do we
need to know in order to effectively use the service and what will be
the expected result of using the service.

This last aspect is pretty open ended of course: the service model
for my son's piggy bank may be identical to the service model for my
grown-up bank: but the expected result of a withdrawal is
dramatically different.

So, I think, that data model, policies, processing model, are all
aspects of the semantics of a service.

To be able to capture the expected results of using a service
requires a deeper modeling of the context in which services are
deployed. Speaking personally, I am in favor of such a modeling, but
perhaps people may be a little surprised at what would be involved
(hint: it brings in concepts such as institutional facts, norms,
roles, authority, empowerment)

Frank