Subject: RE: [soa-rm] New Name of Current Spec (Was RE: [soa-rm] Groups - SOA RM Meeting Minutes June 01, 2005 (Meeting Minutes June 01, 2005[1].doc) uploaded)

Thanks Sally. My impression was that near the end of yesterday's call, the TC reached consensus (not consensus by vote, but rather verbal consensus with no dissenting opinions expressed) that our current Figure 2-1 really represents a service orientation reference model. Furthermore, for some that was all we needed - while others felt that we needed more (i.e. there was not consensus on this point, nor do I expect that there would be given the 2 "camps" that have formed). In my opinion, all viewpoints are valid for those that hold them - we just need a mechanism to reflect the consensus of the TC in our work.

So to this end, we decided that the best approach forward was to construct the 2 reference models described in my first paragraph below (2 e-mails down), the second one building on the first. This would also allow us to keep the name of the TC as the SOA-RM TC, and not change it to the SO-RM (Service Orientation RM) TC, because we will ultimately produce a SOA RM.

Speaking personally, I believe that this is an excellent approach - i.e. first building a foundation (service orientation), then expanding on it for SOA. The intent of my "pulse check" proposal was to raise awareness that there were indeed 2 camps within the TC (and I will assert that it was this way from the very start), which it did.

And so here we are.

From: Sally St. Amand [mailto:sallystamand@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 8:54 AM
To: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org

Joe
I had to leave the call a bit early so I may have missed a point. But right before I left Rebekah made, I thought, the point that the TC does not have concensus and we should focus on gaining concensus around concepts rather than methods of graphical display or names.
I do not believe we have concensus on concepts which is why I voted 'yes' on your ballot proposal. I believe we need more discussion to achieve concensus only then should we adopt a formal means to display it or name it.
Your efforts to give the discussion momentum are appreciated.
Sally

Chiusano Joseph <chiusano_joseph@bah.com> wrote:
Just to clarify, based on our discussion at the end of today's call:

Our current spec will be renamed to SO-RM (Service Orientation Reference
Model), and another will follow called SOA-RM (Service-Oriented
Architecture Reference Model) which will extend the SO-RM spec.

And perhaps after that (within our TC, or perhaps within a different TC)
we can have a POA-RM (Process-Oriented Architecture Reference Model),
which will extend the SOA-RM spec.