Subject: Re: [soa-rm] SOA RA

This is a little late because I am catching up on random threads but may I
suggest a way forward:

We seem to have general agreement that we will also write a RA document so
I think it is less critical to have a rigid RM/RA line.  Whatever we write
is likely to have a home in one of the documents.  Let's allow some
latitude in what initially makes it into the RM because we can draw the
line later and move something to the RA document.  An editor can even
identify something as likely RA material.  What we gain is the ability to
capture our thoughts without debating whether they are the right thoughts
at the moment.

My belated $0.02.

Ken

At 12:50 AM 6/12/2005, Don Flinn wrote:
>Rex
>
>"Fear not" Nothing will be agreed upon until some time after the
>telecom.
>
>Sorry, I went to a play tonight with some Shakespearian scenes.
>
>Don
>
>On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 16:23 -0700, Rex Brooks wrote:
> > I understand, Don, honest.
> >
> > But Duane said we would settle this in the meeting, and I am abiding by
> that.
> >
> > Ciao,
> > Rex
> >
> > At 5:59 PM -0400 6/11/05, Don Flinn wrote:
> > >Hi Rex
> > >
> > >You have made a number of good points.  Let me try to give my viewpoint,
> > >which, I stress, is just my opinion.
> > >
> > >1) IMO the TC has expressed an opinion that we should have an RA in
> > >addition to an RM.
> > >
> > >2) We are spending a lot of energy and time in debating whether this
> > >concept or that concept should or shouldn't be in the RM.  This is not
> > >limited to the SC but covers the many items that I put in the straw-man
> > >RA TOC.
> > >
> > >3) A number of the TC members feel strongly that the RM should abide
> > >strictly with the reference model definition in the present RM
> > >specification, but are amenably, I believe, to having a companion RA
> > >document.
> > >
> > >Rather than continuously debate what should be where, lets develop the
> > >text for these concepts in the RA.  With the text we will have something
> > >(excuse the term) concrete to use to potentially decide later if certain
> > >text should be moved from the RA to the RM.
> > >
> > >I did not intend to carry out a straw poll, only to determine if there
> > >were enough members that were willing to contribute to an RA.
> > >
> > >Lastly, I'm not trying to rush this - too much -:).  However, if we are
> > >to produce an RA for this specification we should begin the effort
> > >before too long.  I am sensitive to conflicting obligations on all our
> > >time.
> > >
> > >Don

>   >open.org/committees/download.php/13012/ReferenceArchitectureTOC_05-06.doc .
> acceptance or
> comment
> there is
> begin
> consumer
> > >  > >>
> create an RM

   /   Ken
Laskey                                                                \
  |    MITRE Corporation, M/S H305    phone:  703-983-7934   |
  |    7515 Colshire Drive                    fax:      703-983-1379   |
   \   McLean VA 22102-7508                                              /