Subject: Panel Discussion on Ontological implications of SOA - Thu 2005.06.30

Ken, TC:

Background info and call in details for Thursday's Ontolog Forum meeting on
SOA.
As per Duane's message, please notify Peter Yim (peter.yim@cim3.com) in
advance if you intend to join...

-Peter

-------------------------------
Date: Thursday, 30 June, 2005
Start Time: 10.30 PST / 13.30 EST / 18.30 BST / 19.30 CET
End Time: 12:25 / 15.25 EST / 20.25 BST / 21.25 CET
Dial-in Number: 1-702-851-3330 (Las Vegas, Nevada)
Access Code: 686564

Subject: [ontolog] Discussion - Ontological Implications of SOA -Thu
2005-06-30
Comments/Agenda: This is the another session in our "Scheduled Discussion"
Series.

* Topic: Interoperability Concerns in the Growth of Service Sciences --
Ontological Implications of Service Oriented Architecture
** Proposed and Moderated by: Professor William E. McCarthy (Michigan State
University)
** Abstract:
Traditionally, trading partners -- both within and between firms 013
trafficked in bundled tangible products like consumer goods or partially
assembled finished goods. Many early e-commerce standards assumed implicitly
product-based exchanges.

Increasingly however, the growth in exchange and bundling of Services in the
US and in other economies has supplanted tangible goods as the raison d
019etre of international and domestic commerce. Estimates of the percentage
of the gross domestic product of the US due to services (as opposed to
goods) range as high as 80%.

In e-commerce, this growth in service provision has been mirrored by the
advent of Service-Oriented Architectures which support integration and
creation of composite solutions (bundles of services) from loosely-coupled
components assembled both within an enterprise (outputs from legacy
applications) and outside of the enterprise (typically XML-based Web
services).

Whether or not the integrated services originate from incompatible
operations inside the firm or from incompatible vendor interfaces from
outside the firms, semantic inconsistencies, redundancies, and discrepancies
make the vision of integrated services an ontological problem. The purpose
of this panel is to explore the ontological implications of service Sciences
in general and of Service-Oriented Architectures in particular. We will
start our Ontolog session with some general comments from notable
practitioners in the SOA and ontology areas. We will then open up the
discussion to more general comments and critiques.

* Refer to session details on our wiki at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2005_06_30

** Background on the topic and some of the questions to be discussed in this
session can be found atthe above session wiki page

* RSVP (to help us reserve adequate resources for the session.)

[This will be a virtual discussion session held over a conference call
augmented by other synchronous collaboration tools. Participants are
expected to have access to the phone and an Internet browser during the
session.]