Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Whither the No-Service-Consumer Motion?

Title: Whither the No-Service-Consumer Motion?
Rex:
In an earlier posting I apologised for not having had the time to put that together and suggested holding it over to the F2F in Vancouver. That seems to be the current default setting.

All the best,
-Peter

From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]
Sent: 06 July 2005 13:46
To: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [soa-rm] Whither the No-Service-Consumer Motion?

Hi Folks,

This being the one week in which I have a tiny bit of extra time, while working on "Ontology Manageement for Federal Agencies Part 2," and in light of the fact that this critical and unresolved issue was not ready for our last TC meeting, AND because I have prepared myself to to write a Minority Report in anticipation of losing the ballot we have agreed to conduct, I can't help but wonder what happened to Peter Brown's Motion to officially place the Service Consumer out of the SO?, or is it SOA? RM.

I would truly appreciate having the motion out for a ballot and a clarification of whether the RM is SO or SOA. To say that those of us, or at least one of those of us, who sincerely believe that keeping the Service Consumer out of the Reference Model is like tying one hand behind our backs, and after having collected a bit of outside feedback, tepid though it is and constrained as it is by the obvious headlong rush of the industry to embrace ANYTHING that can create a marketing BUZZ, I would appreciate being able to finish up my own engagement with this issue while I have a break and just before all of Europe and most of North America takes a two month siesta. Otherwise, you can expect me to proprose my own motion to include the Service Consumer at some point in the future, so heads up, please!

Also, for those of us stateside, I would like to remind you that the juggernaut called the Federal Enterprise Architecture Data Reference Model is rolling downhill at an increasing pace, so if you want to have a say in it, you should be aware that this effort also appears to be set to move forward come hell or high water, or both, this summer, but there is public feedback mechanism

Please do not mistake courtesy for silence in not pestering us all with this on a continual basis nor should this courtesy be construed as anything resembling consent. I see no sense in making a nuisance out of this and I am reasonable able to read the handwriting on the wall to use a well worn trope, and I respect everyone's time as much as my own, but it is time to get this out of the way.

Lastly, the proponents out there of the Enterprise Service Bus and SOA Fabric both are continuing to whip their steeds into as much of a lather as they can in order to own a rarified position in the driver's seat of SOA. Neither concept works for me, but the marketing hype continues with more than a healthy dollop froth which is only to be expected, after all.

However, I have noted a tendency in this TC to use the fabric concept, and I don't think it is warranted, and in fact, is likely to place us in a particular camp or school of thought. I don't think we should be doing that.

It seems to me that we should identify in the RM or in the RA (if that is the course we choose for including a need for which a service ought to be considered before developed rather than the other way round), that there are various frameworks which be used in SOA, including UDDI and ebXML Registry/Repository, and Extended Metadata Registry (XMDR) for ISO 11179, in order to build well-maintained and reliable registries-repositories of resources through which Services and Service Consumers can identify, locate and verify each other. We don't need nice, catchy phraseology from one or another camp, vendor community or school of thought.

As someone noted, we are already saddled by a marketing concept phrase in our very existence as the "Service-Oriented Architecture" Reference Model. Can we not compound this situation with a back-handed endorsement of one or another largely vendor-centric label for a non-vendor-centric framework? May we also not restrict ourselves to UDDI or ebXML or ISO 11179?

Ciao,
Rex

--
Rex Brooks