Subject: Opacity calumny

I read the revised section on services. And an issue that made me
uneasy before has resurfaced -- about opacity.

I think that the opacity/transparency dimension is not a good basis
for distinguishing services. I am aware of the intuition: that
somehow when you use a service you should not have to worry about the
implementation. But what does it mean to say: "the implementation is
hidden from the service consumer"? If the service is to add lists of
numbers then its implementation is hidden provided numbers are added
up correctly. (I.e., we should not care about whether its in C++ or
C#; multi-threaded or federated).

But, some services are explicitly about implementation issues:
security services, workload distribution services, java remote
execution engine services etc. etc. I.e., it is of the essence that
to use a Java remote execution service, you have to send it a java
class to execute. In that sense, the implementation is critical.

A clearer distinction is public/private. A service is characterized
by a public description of its functionality. The public description
should be sufficient to be able to successfully interact with the
service; and no additional information should be required.

Frank