Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Opacity calumny

I think there will be a constant give-and-take between providers and
consumers, between what providers want to show (and their complaints about
the cost of showing things and maintaining what they are forced to show)
and what consumers want to see (e.g. product labeling requirements).  Some
of this, in particular the information shown, the semantics of the
information and possibly the automated means to evaluate the information,
will likely (assuming there is widespread SOA adoption) be the subject of
laws and regulation.

For our work, I think it is enough to note
- information will be exposed through metadata;
- the links to a/c/p and, if applicable, evaluation engines will be part of
metadata;
- for greatest use, there should be standard ways of describing a/c/p and
metadata associated with a/c/p so as to facilitate the greatest possible
automated use.

What is described through a/c/p and what specific metadata is needed are
business/implementation issues.

Ken

At 05:43 PM 7/11/2005, Duane Nickull wrote:

>Ken Laskey wrote:
>
>>So what of this is appropriate for the RA? <SNIP>
>
>I was under the impression we had loose consensus that "services control
>their level of opacity", however that wording doesn't really make any
>sense since the abstract concept of a service can't do anything.
>
>Perhaps a non-normative sentence indicating that a service may keep all
>its implementation detail obscured from any potential service consumers
>yet implementors may elect to disclose an appropriate level of detail to
>allow services consumers to determine if a particular service matches
>their requirements.
>
>Duane

   /   Ken
Laskey                                                                \
  |    MITRE Corporation, M/S H305    phone:  703-983-7934   |
  |    7515 Colshire Drive                    fax:      703-983-1379   |
   \   McLean VA 22102-7508                                              /