Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Definition(s) of "service"

Quoting from an esteemed colleague:

"In simple terms, the definition of service is "the performance of a
function by one for another."  So "service" does not equal "function".
Shoe shining is a function. I can offer to shine shoes.  Until I shine
someone's shoes, I have not provided a service.

This distinction makes sense when one considers the nature of a
contract.  An offer is the first element of a contract, with acceptance
and consideration being the others....[Consider that] two providers may
offer to perform the same function, but their offers are separate and
distinct."

The more we work through these definitions; the importance of precision
becomes more apparent...

So, in a roundabout sort of way, I believe that I'm agreeing with Matt
about "...carries out".

Rebekah

Rebekah Metz
Associate