Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Definition(s) of "service"

I'd still like to emphasize service as the access to capabilities for
which there are extra-service motivations for their existence and
requirements for use of the capabilities that must be navigated by
the service.  Thus,

"A service is a mechanism to enable access to a set of capabilities,
where the access is provided using a prescribed interface and is
exercised consistent with constraints and policies as specified by
the service description."

Ken

At 11:15 PM 8/3/2005, joe@pantella.net wrote:

>Just trying to sort through this; some common themes that seem to be
>acceptable:
>
>A service provides capabilities.
>A service is accessible. (If this is true, then service cannot be a
>verb.) A service has an interface. (If this is true, then a service
>has a boundary.)
>A service interface is prescribed. (Then a service and its interface
>are distinct, and the interface has associated rules.  I'm not sure
>this is true, the interface may describe the rules, but Im not sure
>it has rules.  In fact, I'm inclined to suggest that the interface
>defines the rules for accessing the service.  Which would lead me to
>suggest that the service interface is more than a specification of
>the data model, but also of the policies associated with the service.)
>A service is a set of behaviors.  (Not sure I'm on board with this,
>something about behaviors doesn't sit well.)
>
>Given this, perhaps something like:
>
>"A service is a bounded set of capabilities that are accessible
>through a prescribed interface."
>

>-- JJP
>
>P.S. I think this definition might just be flexible enough to
>navigate the service offer/contract discussion also.

   /   Ken
Laskey                                                                \
  |    MITRE Corporation, M/S H305    phone:  703-983-7934   |
  |    7515 Colshire Drive                    fax:      703-983-1379   |
   \   McLean VA 22102-7508                                              /