Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Definition(s) of "service"

Hmm - - Not to divert us to the deep end of the pool, but this comment reminds me of the concepts of equality in OOD. Are 2 objects (services) equal if they have the same method signature(s)? Are instances of the same class? Have the same OID? Return matching results for all possible inputs? (hard to test!) Or have identical implementations (impossible to test without looking beyond the interface)?

Martin

________________________________

From: Ken Laskey [mailto:klaskey@mitre.org]
Sent: Mon 8/8/2005 5:49 PM
To: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org

As appeared earlier in this thread, there are contexts in which it is
not necessary to discriminate between the capability and the service
that accesses it, and our discussion of service can make this
clear.  However, I think this thread has also shown ample examples of
where the service and the capability are clearly separate concepts
and where it may be useful to allow that difference to be
captured.  For example, it is likely for someone to ask if two
services are the same.  While we do not address that particular
question, it is far simpler to handle if we know whether the
underlying capability is the same than if we obscure that difference
at first principles.