Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Amazon.com and Hurricane Catrina - Service Context? Service "Veneer"?

Apple also did this with their iTunes Music Store: click the link and you order a donation instead of a song.

This is why I keep insisting on differentiating between the service and the capability.  The underlying capability is to collect money for a purpose.  The service provides the interface for doing that.  Typically, you invoke the capability through a service that enables you to buy a book (or a song) but a new service invokes that capability (with a new user facing interface for Apple; I haven't checked Amazon) to "buy" a donation.  The power is the capability is reusable by making it accessible through a different service.

Now note if I buy something through a service that allowed me to specify the UPC code, I could buy a donation through their existing service with that UPC, i.e. reusing the service for a purpose similar to but different from its original purpose.  In fact, several supermarkets around here do support that because they have little tear-off tablets at the checkout for certain hunger organizations and you can hand the clerk a page for $1, $5, or $10.

Many interesting variations and our RM just has to capture the concepts that can describe any of them.  I think I'll mow the lawn and think about this some more.

Ken