Subject: [soa-rm] Ten commandments for SOA success

Got this from the Search Web Services mailing list and found it
interesting in the context of the current discussion.  I would tweak
it to say, "How do we leverage our existing capabilities with this
SOA?"  Or do we have a better way to discriminate between "SOA
services" and other stuff that can be associated with a more
colloquial use of the term "service".

Ken

Ten commandments for SOA success
[Joseph Ottinger]

Carlos Perez, from his Manageability blog, wrote recently about "Ten
Commandments for SOA Salvation," offering a set of guideposts for SOA
adoption. The key factor for success with SOA doesn't seem to be "How
easy is it for us to write services with this SOA?" but rather "How
do we leverage our existing services with this SOA?"
http://www.manageability.org/blog/stuff/ten-commandments-for-soa

This crucial change in focus is hard for IT departments, because
programmers are perfectionists and explorers. Nobody really wants to
take that tired old COBOL program and interface with it; they would
much rather update it to a modern language, with modern techniques,
notwithstanding the COBOL routine's record of running without error.
(Thus, Carlos' commandment numbers one, four and five.)

SOAs have an awful lot of momentum behind them right now, even in
open
source: Vendors like Iona, Sonic, LogicBlaze and Sun have all created
open source business integration products, some usable today, others
not far off. It's important to organize a strategy now, if you don't
have an effective plan already.

Guidelines like the "Ten Commandments for SOA Salvation" can help
quite a bit. Other options include talking to business partners that
have implemented SOA successfully -- and encouraging others to do the
same, because SOA's step into the limelight is going to be based on
actual success, not just talk about it.

E-mail us with your prescriptions for SOA success.
Editor@searchwebservices.com

   /   Ken
Laskey                                                                \
  |    MITRE Corporation, M/S H305    phone:  703-983-7934   |
  |    7515 Colshire Drive                    fax:      703-983-1379   |
   \   McLean VA 22102-7508                                              /