Subject: RE: [soa-rm] RE: Resolving Various Policy Languages with Ontologies

<Quote>
For example, if I have a service that uses XACML policy and another
service that uses EPAL policy, I could resolve the differences between
the two policy languages using an ontology for both policy languages at
the policy decision point.
</Quote>

I believe this has already been stated on some form or another by others
who have replied, but this looks to me like the job for a "security
policy reference model" (or similar name) that contains those (minimal)
concepts that are most central to the domain, rather than an ontology. I
see an ontology as a semantic model that may be derived using the
reference model, along with multiple other representations such as
concrete security architectures, UML class diagrams, E-R diagrams, etc.
One single reference model begets all of these and more.

Joe (living in reference model world these days)

700 13th St. NW
Washington, DC 20005
O: 202-508-6514 <= new office number as of 09/19/05
C: 202-251-0731