Subject: Re: [soa-rm] RE: Resolving Various Policy Languages with Ontologies

Mappings cannot always be complete because, as Frank notes, an ontology exists for a purpose (or variations of a similar purpose) and does not express all possible knowledge on a subject.  This does not mean there isn't value in a partial mapping or mappings among a collection of ontologies.  Ideally, if there was information missing to which one needed to map, this information and corresponding mappings could be formally captured and expand the knowledge base for future uses.

Ken

On Oct 11, 2005, at 1:24 PM, Matt MacKenzie wrote:

I have adapted a proprietary access control language to xacml, and merely mapping concepts was not enough.  It was useful, but didn't fill in all the blanks.

-matt
--
Matt MacKenzie
Development Manager, LiveCycle Registry
Adobe Systems Incorporated

-----Original Message-----
From: Chiusano Joseph <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>
Sent: Tue Oct 11 13:10:51 2005

<Quote>
For example, if I have a service that uses XACML policy and another
service that uses EPAL policy, I could resolve the differences between
the two policy languages using an ontology for both policy languages at
the policy decision point.
</Quote>

I believe this has already been stated on some form or another by others
who have replied, but this looks to me like the job for a "security
policy reference model" (or similar name) that contains those (minimal)
concepts that are most central to the domain, rather than an ontology. I
see an ontology as a semantic model that may be derived using the
reference model, along with multiple other representations such as
concrete security architectures, UML class diagrams, E-R diagrams, etc.
One single reference model begets all of these and more.

Joe (living in reference model world these days)

700 13th St. NW
Washington, DC 20005
O: 202-508-6514 <= new office number as of 09/19/05
C: 202-251-0731