Subject: RE: [soa-rm] [Revisiting "Concepts from which you can support any business process"] RE: [soa-rm] Amazon.com and Hurricane Catrina - Service Context? Service "Veneer"?

I’ll get on a high horse here.

Workflow and BP only make sense in an SOA context, otherwise its just Visual COBOL that is being proposed onto an enterprise.  SOA gives the structure to the workflow and BP which ensures that it has the correct hierarchy and granularity to enable effective change.

All a workflow or BP actual gives is an ordering and tracking of the invocation steps between services and actors, I’ve spent so much time cleaning up after process driven architectures its not funny (except after four drinks).  So I’d say that the RM has been spot on in not dealing with these elements as they should be a secondary concern of the structure that SOA can give.  I agree that the paper doesn’t appear to address the challenge of abstraction, but it could be relevant as a description of a standard “state” manager for distributed process (but that is definitely not RM).

VISUAL COBOL, a bad idea in 1980… a bad idea today.

Steve

From: Peter F Brown [mailto:peter@justbrown.net]
Sent: 24 October 2005 14:36
To: 'Chiusano Joseph'
Cc: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org; 'REICHE Henrik'

Joe:

This reminds me of similar debates and battles we had in the European Parliament some moons ago when I was still working in Brussels....

I would content that the list of concepts relates to workflow (at an implementation design layer) and not business processes (as an abstract, higher layer). The major problem we found with many so-called BPM tools is that hard-wired detailed implementation concepts right from the start, such as requiring name or ID of a person initiating a "process" rather than an identifier for the functional responsibility, etc. This makes it nearly impossible to re-use high level value chains in different processes,because too much context dependency is hard-wired. At first sight, they seem to be making the same "mistake", at least if the attempt really is to define abstract business process concepts.

In this sense, the Semantion concepts probably map closer to a Reference Architecture than a Reference Model...

Peter