Subject: Re: [soa-rm] RA discussion and OASIS TC process

Exceptional question that gets to the heart of the general questions of
what is a "standard" and what are the benefits of having one?  Then,
maybe specifically for Jamie, what is an OASIS Standard?

More immediately, what does it mean to do this type of work (RM or RA)
and not have the mantra of standard when complete?  Have we struggled
so valiantly for a second class citizen?

My feeling on SOA RM is there is a driving need for an "authoritative"
description because the level of confusion, both from those who think
they need one and those who want to sell them one, is paralyzing.
Another book on the subject just would not cut it.  Is there a need for
a new type of standard that is just informative for setting the record
straight?  What then is conformance?

Today's telecon just got a lot more interesting :-)

Ken

On Nov 2, 2005, at 7:38 AM, Peter F Brown wrote:

> The TC process states that for a Committee spec to be considered for
> approval as an "OASIS standard", the TC shall provide, inter alia,
> "Certification by at least three OASIS member organizations that they
> are successfully using the specification"
>
> Two questions therefore:
>
> - do we want our spec to become an "OASIS Standard", or would we be
> satisfied with just "Committee Specification" status?
> - if we go for a standard, what would constitute successful use of the
> specification?
>
> Without prejudicing appropriately timed discussion on the first
> question, I think we need to be clear of our answer as a TC to the
> second before we venture into the area of RA.
>
> I raise this question now, as I feel it has a bearing regarding any
> work we start on RA in the near future and raises again the issue of
> conformance/compatibility that we touched upon already in Vancouver:
> for example, would the production of three RAs (and/or SOA Blueprints)
> constitute proof of successful implementation? If not, what does?
>
> I think we need to have a steer on this question when we discuss RA at
> today's and subsequent meetings
>
> Regards from sunny Vienna,
>
> Peter
>
> -------------
> Peter F Brown
> ---
> Chair, CEN eGovernment Focus Group
> ---
> Senior Expert
> eGovernment - Legal, Organisational and International Issues
> Austrian Federal Chancellery
> ---
> Co-Editor, OASIS SOA Reference Model
> ---

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379