Subject: Capabilities vs. Services: "Partitioning" Our Reference Model?

A thought just popped into my head (scary, I know):

On the distinction between capabilities and services...does it make sense to "partition" (using term loosely) our reference model?

Why? Primarily for increased understanding, potentially efficiencies in usage.

What does this mean? We have the following concepts in our current "puzzle" figure:

- Service

- Capability

- Service Description

- Policy

- Execution Context

- Exchange

- Visibility

- Interaction

- Real World Effect

I believe we can group these into those that pertain to "capabilities", and those that pertain to "services". There will also be some in common (e.g. real world effect, which is discussed for both capabilities and services), which we may perhaps relate somehow (i.e. the services concept could be an extension of the capabilities concept, if it makes sense). Here's how I see the groupings (for now I use the term "area" instead of "group"):

CAPABILITIES AREA:

- Capability

- Visibility

- Interaction

- Real World Effect

SERVICES AREA:

- Service

- Service Description

- Policy

- Execution Context

- Exchange

We can also visually depict these partitions in our abstract model figure (there are multiple ways to do this). In the DRM, we have 3 "standardization areas" (Data Description, Data Context, and Data Sharing), so these would be akin to standardization areas for our reference model. We can also organize our spec around them (i.e. "Capabilities Area" would be a section, as would "Services Area", and each would discuss the concepts that are associated with that area). I hesitate to call these "tiers" or "views", as that sounds too much like architecture - but perhaps there are better terms to consider than "area".

This partitioning may also provide value for future uses of our reference model (e.g. reference architectures, process-oriented architectures, etc.) as it lends a bit of modularity (again using loose terminology) that may yield future efficiencies.

Is this at least mildly worth considering?

Associate

Booz Allen Hamilton

700 13th St. NW

Suite 1100