Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Reference Architecture

Hello Frank,

I've attached a few artifacts I've used in recent years based on the IBM
Rational Unified Process (RUP) definition of a Reference Architecture
artifact as well as some pretty good architectural tenets for a layered and
tiered architecture from Mike Rosen and John Parodi at IONA Technologies.
Although the second attachment uses "Web services" in its title, the work is
really technology neutral and the important architectural "stuff" can be
found in Section 3.  I've summarized the benefits of the layered and tiered
approach in a the third attachment.

This is just reference material I thought would be helpful in the
development of the SOA-RA work.  Of course, we need to address some of  the
immediate steps you've articulated such as statement of purpose and
collection of requirements.

I'll give the latter some thought over the next week or so.  Right now, a
lot on the plate for the remainder of January but this is a very important
activity and I want to stay actively involved.

Bye for now...

 - Jeff Estefan, JPL

RUP-RA.pdf

Architecting_Web_Services-IONA.pdf