Subject: Subcommittee Procedure & Role of Chairman

Title: FW: SOA Class @ UC SC
Regarding our discussion about the subcommittee rules and procedure. Here are the rules I could find. . .

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#2.9

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#2.14

2.9 TC Procedure
The operation of TCs shall be governed by Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised,  . . . .

and here is a link to an online version: http://www.rulesonline.com/

and on the role of the chairman: http://www.rulesonline.com/start.html#rror-10.htm

The chairman sometimes calls a member to the chair and takes part in the debate. This should rarely be done, and nothing can justify it in a case where much feeling is shown and there is a liability to difficulty in preserving order. If the chairman has even the appearance of being a partisan, he loses much of his ability to control those who are on the opposite side of the question.

"Though the Speaker (Chairman) may of right speak to matters of order and be first heard, he is restrained from speaking on any other subject except where the House have occasion for facts within his knowledge; then he may, with their leave, state the matter of fact." [Jefferson's Manual, sec. XVII.]