Subject: Re: [soa-rm] What Is A "Metaservice"?

The problem of metaservice as you've defined it is that you are assuming the underlying capability is only used to do something with another service.  Now while that may be the only use that makes sense for a particular metaservice, in SOA we specifically do not make assumptions on who future users may be or the context in which they will find that service useful.  Would we really get value out of arguing the conditions under which a service is a metaservice and when it is not?

Ken

On Feb 10, 2006, at 11:32 AM, Chiusano Joseph wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 11:10 AM
To: Ken Laskey; Chiusano Joseph

Why do we need a term for service metadata?

Exactly. That was my motivation for suggesting a different definition
for "metaservice".

Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton

700 13th St. NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
O: 202-508-6514
C: 202-251-0731

Rex

At 9:55 AM -0500 2/10/06, Ken Laskey wrote:
I typically cause physical damage to people who say metadata
is about
data. (OK, not really.)  That is a circular definition that
tells you
nothing.  In our context, metadata is a subset of
information related
to an entity, including parts of the entity, that are needed for a
particular purpose.  That means metadata can also be descriptive
information about a service.  The early SOA-RM drafts (I
think 07 and
before) had an appendix on metadata

As far as metaservice, the description of service supports a
hierarchy
or combination of services, including services working with and on
other services.  To have metaservice as a useful concept, you would
need a base level SERVICE and then things acting on it.  The
identification of SERVICE will be use dependent and the source of
endless, fruitless arguments.

Ken