Subject: RE: [soa-rm] What Is A "Metaservice"?

Good point.  An architect *may* want to constrain a service as atomic
(say, for performance reasons), may want to architect a meta service
from a set of pre-defined atomic services (thus constraining the
service to be "meta"), or may want to leave it up to the implementor
whether to make a service atomic or "meta".  In such a case, having
such a construct in the RA would be useful.

-----Original Message-----
From: McGregor.Wesley@tbs-sct.gc.ca
[mailto:McGregor.Wesley@tbs-sct.gc.ca]
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 2:45 PM
To: Laskey, Ken; Bashioum, Christopher D
Cc: rexb@starbourne.com; soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org

Ken,

From a minimalist point of view your point is valid and the RM as it
now stands reflects that.

For those who manage large multi-business, multi-jurisdiction,
multi-departmental, multi-lingual enterprises, there may be great value
in having a "meta-service" in order to assist the classification of
services and provide the level of abstraction needed to ease the
building of a common framework.

To out-of-hand dismiss the idea, is, to say the least, self-defeating.

Regards,

Wes

P.S. Be careful of what you call worthless,  what large SOA players are
backing this RM?