Subject: SOA and the US Federal Government: What's Going On

Here is some information on what is going on within the US federal government as a whole in regards to SOA:

The following recent article[1] from US Federal Computer Week (FCW) refers to an initiative within the US federal government (under the Federal CIO Council) called "Service Component Based Architectures (SCBA)", which involves the integration of SOA into the US Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA). It is an evolution of earlier papers written on the subject of component-based architectures, and it addresses how SOA can be implemented within the US federal government. Booz Allen is supporting this initiative.

The SCBA specification is envisioned to be highly comprehensive, with 9 chapters dealing with various aspects such as governance, strategy, component-based development, and more. The first chapter has been written and delivered to the US Office of Management and Budget (OMB), Executive Office of the President, where it is currently in review prior to public release. Though the subject of the article is not SCBA, the fourth paragraph refers to SCBA and contains a link to a presentation that was recently given at a federal forum. Slide 9 of the presentation lists the currently planned chapters for the SCBA specification.

Please let me know if you have any questions on this - some I may have to answer in an offline e-mail rather than a publicly archived e-mail, as I cannot "officially" speak for the initiative.

[1] http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/38150-1.html

Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton

700 13th St. NW, Suite 1100