Subject: Re: [soa-rm] draft wording resolution for 517

An updated reponse for issue 517:

We agree that the relationship of a service to its
community is described in the "Architecture" of an
SOA.  However, the SOA Reference Model is an abstract
intended to clarify the concepts surrounding a service
and how it is embedded in the real world.  It is not
architecture, therefore we only mention the concept of
the services' context.  This is documented in figure
6.  The context will be laid out more specifically in
follow on work after the RM is done.

In the SOA RM, service interfaces are an aspect of
other over arching concepts that apply to services
embedded in the real world. Figure 2 depicts the
principal service concepts of Visibility, Service
Description, Interaction, Contracts and Policies, Real
World Effect, and the Execution Context.

Comparison of UBL is out of scope for the SOA RM.

Original Text for Issue 517:

The SOA RM provides a good perspective of SOA at the
level of an individual technical service but does not
live up to the stated goal of services in general as
expressed in the document "Service Oriented
Architecture (SOA) is a paradigm for organizing and
utilizing distributed capabilities that may be under
the control of different ownership domains."

In particular, services (as described in the document)
need to be put into the context of a community that is
benefiting from a set of interactions.  It is that
community that is the reason for the service, provides
it context, definition and business value.  As the
contract of a single interaction between parties in
such a community, the service can only be understood
when the set of services within that community are
defined as a set, where the interdependences, timing,
responsibilities are well understood.  This is the
“Architecture” in SOA.

By way of example, Oasis’s UBL specification
[http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/cd-UBL-1.0/], section
5.1 shows such a community of “buyer”, “seller”,
“Delivery Recipient”.  This community exists for the
common business purpose of commerce and will be
instrumented by various actors playing the roles of
this community using service interfaces.  The
definition and realization of such communities with
service interfaces should be at the heart of an SOA
reference model.

The heart of SOA is in defining such communities, the
roles actors may play and the interactions between
them that both enable the community and encapsulate
the business activities underneath.  This is not a new
idea, A design model for such communities is expressed
in the OMG-EDOC “Component Collaboration Architecture”
[http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?formal/2004-02-01]
which has been applied to both e-Government and
e-Enterprise applications, such as the U.S. General
Service Administrations enterprise architecture.

In summary or feedback is that the reference model
should express a higher level of architecture that
encompasses communities and how actors interact in
roles of that community to achieve a business purpose.
 This should then be related to the more granular
expression of service interfaces, which are the focus
of the current document.