Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Proposed resolution for Issue 508

Frank - thanks!

All - If there is no opposition, I would like to move that we consider 508
closed as soon as Frank can update the issues list for Don.

Please speak now if you disagree.

*******************************
Adobe Systems, Inc. - http://www.adobe.com
Vice Chair - UN/CEFACT  http://www.uncefact.org/
Chair - OASIS SOA Reference Model Technical Committee
Personal Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/
*******************************

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank McCabe [mailto:frank.mccabe@us.fujitsu.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 9:53 PM
To: SOA-RM
Subject: [soa-rm] Proposed resolution for Issue 508

The issue is "How does capability relate to resources and means?"

A capability, according to WordNet is

"the quality of being capable -- physically or intellectually or
legally; "he worked to the limits of his capability"

There is a relationship in that almost certainly capability implies
resources and means to realize that capability. However, we are
interested in the RM in what those resources realize, not is how it
is achieved.

Any architecture that purported to deliver an SOA would probably
address capabilities more directly. This is especially the case for
Enterprise systems where it is not sufficient to say "it will be
done"; you would be required to prove it.

However, for the Reference Model, whose focus is trying to model what
is important about SOA, we believe we do not need to unpack the
concept of capability further.

smime.p7s