Subject: RE: [soa-rm] changing shared state to shared view

Peter makes an interesting point about views and
state.  I think of a service as containing state
(could be shared state).  I think of a consumer as
having a view or views of a service and a service as
being a provider of views.  Bob observes a book from
the front and it is 7 inches wide and 9 inches tall.
Jane observes the same book from the side and it is 2
inches wide and 9 inches tall.   The state of the book
remains the same for both views.  If my daughter
changes the state of the book by drawing pretty
pictures on the cover, then the views for Bob and Jane
change.  If the book is morphed into a computing
service, Bob an administrator, and Jane a customer,
there are equivalent computing views for the two views
of the book.

Applying the above example to changes for lines 141
-144:

[Original 141-144] On the other hand, public actions
result in changes to the state that is shared at least
between those involved in the current execution
context and possibly shared by others.  Real world
effects are, then, couched in terms of changes to this
shared state.

Comment:  Using the airline example, the shared state
change could be the consumer's awareness of the seat
availability or the consumer having reserved a seat.
The consumer has a view of the seats but does the
consumer have state for the seats?  A reader is likely
to understand the intended meaning of the sentence
without having to ask this question.

[Modified 141-144] On the other hand, public actions
result in changes, some accumulated view of which is
shared at least between those involved in the current
execution context and possibly shared by others. Real
world effects are, then, couched in terms of changes
to this shared view.

Comment: Using the airline example, reserving a seat
on the airline changes the view for current and future
consumers.  The airline service has state for the
seats and provides views of the seats, but does the
airline service itself see views of the seats?    This
takes a little more thought for the reader to
understand.

Danny

--- Peter F Brown <peter@justbrown.net> wrote:

> Ken:
> why "accumulated" in "accumulated view"? I think I
> see where you are going but this sounds a bit
> suspect.
>
> I'm still not convinced about this choice of word,
> "view":
>
> Firstly, If two entities share the same view, they
> are standing at the same point and looking at the
> same thing: the point about "shared state" is that
> there are certain characteristics about a service
> interaction that change, including the state of the
> entities engaged in the interaction. They actually
> might have - probably have - different views on
> their...shared state
>
> Secondly, as a metaphor it doesn't stand up to
> scrutiny and could be confusing: "View" is a
> question of perspective and subjective
> interpretation of an observer, it does not imply any
> change to the reality being viewed. "State" is - or
> at least implies - something more empirical.
>
> I think shared state is still better...
>
> Peter

<file://localhost/Users/family/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip1/01/clip_image002.png>