Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Resolution for Issue #518

I would also add that an intermediary tends to suggest a specific
architecture choice rather than a concept/relationship that guides
architecture decisions.

Perhaps an update to the following text:
"...The Reference Model is not concerned with how the a particular
service interaction is accomplished or how many entities are concerned,
only that capabilities and needs are brought together by means of a
service (see lines
180-184 and 264-267) and that there are identifiable service
participants"

Rebekah Metz
Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton
Voice:  (703) 377-1471
Fax:     (703) 902-3457

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter F Brown [mailto:peter@justbrown.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 2:40 PM
To: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [soa-rm] Resolution for Issue #518

Issue:
"In drafting the document, was there any discussion of intermediaries?
In
the justice community we often provide services to other justice
entities
who then provide the services to their end users (consumers).  If not,
would
there be consideration for adding references to issues related to
intermediary providers? We consider this more than just a policy or
interface issue"

Proposed Resolution:
No change to text;
Explanatory note to submitter:

"Yes, considerable attention was paid to this at an early stage in the
committee's work, when we also looked at the question of service
transparency/opacity and related issues: 'who is actually considered as
the
service provider when, for example, a broker is involved?', 'what about
when
a service is used differently that intended by the initial provider?',
'who
is the provider and consumer in an inter-enterprise composite service?',
etc.
"The Reference Model is not concerned with *who* is involved in a
particular
service composition or how many entities are concerned, only that
capabilities and needs are brought together by means of a service (see
lines
180-184 and 264-267) and that there are identifiable service
participants"

Peter