Subject: Issue 549

Sounds okay to me.  Would you care to draft up the words and submit them to Don for inclusion in the issues list.  If anyone objects, now is a good time to speak out.

Duane

*******************************
Adobe Systems, Inc. - http://www.adobe.com
Vice Chair - UN/CEFACT
http://www.uncefact.org/
Chair - OASIS SOA Reference Model Technical Committee
Personal Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/
*******************************

From: Bashioum, Christopher D [mailto:cbashioum@mitre.org]
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 6:56 AM
To: Laskey, Ken; Duane Nickull
Subject: RE: Clarification

Duane,

not sure if this should be just to you or to the whole TC, but at least I will forward this to you now, and we can forward to the larger TC for discussion if approriate.  Your response to the IEEE 1471 issue is that the OASIS SOA RM definition of architecture includes both the IEEE definition of 'architecture model' *and* the IEEE definition of 'architecture'.

<snip> DN:  Since we used architecture in a lexically scoped manner, we included a formal definition in our glossary as “A set of artifacts (that is: principles, guidelines, policies, models, standards and processes) and the relationships between these artifacts, that guide the selection, creation, and implementation of solutions aligned with business goals</snip>

This definition is equivalent (almost word-for-word) to the IEEE 1471 definition for architecture model

<snip>Software architecture is the structure or structures of an information system consisting of entities and their externally visible properties, and the relationships among them.” </snip>

This definition is equivalent (again, almost word-for-word) to the IEEE 1471 definition for architecture.

What I would recommend is the following: Make a statement somewhere that using the term architecture is really short for the IEEE 1471 term "architecture model" (like the commenter suggested), and make a statement that the term "software architecture" maps directly to the IEEE term "architecture".  I would also make  the term software architecture its own glossary term, since it is defined differently than architecture.  Looks like the glossary meant to do so, but there was a typo somewhere.

My argument for doing the above is that the IEEE 1471 community is the same community we are targeting with our RM, and we can make the changes I propose without substantively changing the RM itself.  If we do not make these changes, we risk alienating some of our IEEE bretheren who will miss the real focus of the SOA RM becuase they will get wrapped around the axil of the "architecture model" vs. "architecture" definitions.