Subject: RE: [soa-rm] [For Issue #525] RE: [soa-rm] Groups - Proposed SOA-RM Relationship Names (SOA-RM Relationships Names.xls) uploaded

Duane,

With all due respect, I think you're over-analyzing this possibility. We
had no problem doing this in the DRM, so I don't see why it should be
different here (and Mike Daconta led that initiative from the technical
standpoint). However, I yield to yours and the TC's consensus.

Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton

700 13th St. NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
O: 202-508-6514
C: 202-251-0731

From: Duane Nickull [mailto:dnickull@adobe.com]
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 3:44 PM
To: Chiusano Joseph; soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [soa-rm] [For Issue #525] RE: [soa-rm] Groups - Proposed
SOA-RM Relationship Names (SOA-RM Relationships Names.xls) uploaded

It is *not* that simple.  Imagine you draw a line from A to B and label
it "owns".  What does that mean?

A owns B
A owns B and B is owned by A
For all that is true in the statement A owns B, the inverse is equally
true A owns B and B is not even aware that A exists A owns B and B is
aware that A exists but does not reciprocate to the statement.
A owns B as expressed by entity X and neither A nor B are aware of the
label A owns B as visible from A but not from B A owns B as visible from
A and B A owns B and B is aware of A but does not have any specific
label on the relationship.
Etc...

There are literally 50 different variations on this one simple bit.  Now
throw in C.

A owns B and C is owned by B.

Does A even know about C?
Etc...

Sorry - this is not something we can define given the abstract nature of
our RM without committing first order logic to the spec to define what
it means.

Duane

Adobe Systems, Inc. - http://www.adobe.com Vice Chair - UN/CEFACT
http://www.uncefact.org/ Chair - OASIS SOA Reference Model Technical