Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Groups - Semantic Service Oriented Architecture Tutorial (SemanticServiceOrientedArchitectureTutorial.ppt) uploaded

Mick Kerrigan saw Steve's post but can't respond himself, so I'm
doing it for him.  My intent was not in any way to advocate WSMO
(although I do find aspects of it appealing) or make any claims about
it but rather to show an example of how some of the architecture
considerations we've discussed have already been combined.  Thus,
much more of a thought piece than a let's-do-it-this way.  That said,
synergy between TCs seems to be a rare commodity, so I figured we
should grab at it when we had a chance :-)

Now for Mick's message:

Hi Steve,

Just to address your comment, the aim of this tutorial was to
highlight the mediation aspects of Semantic Web Services. Therefore
we focused on the three main aspects. Firstly adaptation, that is the
transformation from a syntactic standard (like EDI or RosettaNet) to
an ontologized format of that standard. Secondly we looked at data
mediation, the transformation between two ontologies that describe
the same domain and thirdly process mediation, resolving mismatches
between the public message exchange patterns of the services. (So
essentially 2 parts data, 1 part interface).

What we did not emphasize was the other 90% of Semantic Web Services,
mainly due to the fact that an overview of Semantic Web Services was
given in New Orleans in 2005 and this year we wanted to zoom in on
interoperability to meet up with the topic of the OASIS symposium.

Just to say that WSMO is made up of 4 top level notions as you can
see in the slides. One of these notions is Web Services, that is a
semantic description of both the function of the service (its
capability) and how this function can be consumed (its interface).
This capability matches up with what you are talking about in your
email and can be used for many things including locating services
that can fulfill a users needs (we generally refer to this as service
discovery).

If you are interested in learning more you can mail me off list and i
will be glad to have a chat. Furthermore you can take a look at
www.wsmo.org, www.wsmx.org and www.deri.org for lots of information
on Semantics and Semantic Web Services.

Regards,

~Mick

P.S. thanks to Ken for forwarding this on, I have read rights to the
SOA-RM list but can't seem to post as an observer.

At 04:32 PM 5/31/2006, Jones, Steve G wrote:

>I like the presentation, but there is one objection.  Its not really
>semantic web services, its semantic web, but not service.
>
>As per the SOA RM, a capability is a function with a real world effect, this
>means although there is information there is also a great deal of importance
>attached to the function.  So far all of the Semantic Web work has
>concentrated just on the information side, and ignored the function side.
>So we can better describe the semantics of the information but nothing
>around the function.
>
>Information without function is pointless. I'll get off my Soap box now :)
>
>I've had the RM mentioned several times recently by clients (unprompted)
>it's definitely getting out there, but we could do with a clear marketing
>push at 1.0.
>
>Of course with the latest Gartner and Oracle push we should call it SOA RM
>2.0 :)

   /   Ken
Laskey                                                                \
  |    MITRE Corporation, M/S H305    phone:  703-983-7934   |
  |    7515 Colshire Drive                    fax:      703-983-1379   |
   \   McLean VA 22102-7508                                              /