Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Policies and Contracts - notes for currrently posteddocument

Martin:

In general, I favor using the WS-Policy and WS-PolicyAttachment abstract
models for the RA.  There is no place to link them to the RM explicitly
given the abstract nature of the RM but the RA should probably reflect the
capabilities of those works.

Note that the WS-Policy stuff is used in many WS-* specs including WS-RX and
SX.

Duane

On 2/19/07 12:03 PM, "Smith, Martin" <Martin.Smith@DHS.GOV> wrote:

> Michael --
>
> A good discussion --thanks.  It gave rise to a couple of thoughts:
>
> 1.  Contracts are (typically) private between buyer and seller. Except that
> the contracts have to be made available to third parties (courts, arbitrators)
> for dispute resolution and enforcement.  I wonder if contract "instances" are
> a property of services at all.
> 2.  "Internal" policies are private to an organization (or individual, if you
> like), and represent documented guidelines for doing business and/or goals,
> presumably subject to waiver or revision via internal decision processes. I
> don't see that they are of any particular relevance to the external
> (observable) behavior of a service.  And maybe not to the RA.
> 3.  "External" (advertised) policies are really just a starting offer to the
> public in negotiation of a contract. The car dealer may have a "policy" of a
> maximum 10% discount for cash, but the salesman's invisible manager can
> probably cut a deal if it's the end of the month.
> 4.  There seem to be several OASIS (and other) activities dealing with
> policies and contracts. We should try to figure out if we are doing anything
> special in SOA-RM that requires a distinct language, or which of the other
> efforts is best suited to RA needs.
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin
>
> Martin F. Smith
> Program Manager, Information Sharing & Identity Management
> DHS CIO Office
> 202 447-3743 (New! as of 10/2006)
> 202 441-9731 cell

Sr. Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.           *
Chair - OASIS SOA Reference Model Technical Committee    *
Blog: http://technoracle.blogspot.com                    *
Music: http://www.mix2r.com/audio/by/artist/duane_nickull*