Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Policies and Contracts - notes for currrently posted document

Title: RE: [soa-rm] Policies and Contracts - notes for currrently posted document

I got the point. However, I did not have an intention to define the Policies in any way but its reference point. That is, I am talking about where/how a Policy might be referenced in RA for particular service and my proposal is Service Description / Service Contract.

Following Martin's 4 lines of thinking:
1. Contracts may be private or public, it depends on concrete service provider, service and consumer. I can easy imagine a few public Contracts offered to different categories of consumers where several consumers share the same Contract; this is similar to a public API or WSDL in UDDI (though I do not interpret WSDL as a fully scaled Contract). As I said before, a Contract to me is one of the major distinguishers of the SOA services, in particular, in its business orientation vs. Web Services, for example. The Contract appears as a single definition of the obligations of the service provider to the consumers behind the service interface (i.e. it is about reflection of the business behaviour of the service and service execution in different business contexts). For example, if a service has two public interfaces, let's say WSDL and EJB (RMI-over-IIOP), and a consumer A is contracted to use both interfaces while a consumer B is agreed to use only WSDL, the service provider gets not responsible for QoS to consumer B if it access public EJB interface. In particular, the provider can limit the pool of EJB and deny requests from consumer B staying perfectly in the contract boundaries. So, my point, the Contract is at the same attribute level as Description but personalised.

2. I agree with Martin in most of the case but still think that "internal" policies might be useful for "internal" services, e.g. cross-divisional policies/services. I had such case when worked for one of the organisations in the Zurich Financial Group.

3. Agreed with Martin

4. Agreed with Martin. Does it make sense to look at some related vendors' products of we are limited by the OASIS sphere?

If you, folks, are interested I will be able to articulate some of my points tomorrow, at the telcon.

- Michael

Senior Manager
Fidelity Investments - Web Delivery
Phone: +44-173-783-6038