Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Fwd: [soa-rm] Public Review of Reference Architecture Foundation for Service Oriented Architecture Version 1.0

Too late to argue the fine points of Joint Action :-) but here are observations and suggested mods for the first two and last two answers.

Ken

On Nov 17, 2009, at 10:40 PM, Francis McCabe wrote:

A go at answering my questions ... :)

1. What is the RAF?

An architectural description of the SOA paradigm. What that means is a description of the key concepts and their relationships that make a SOA-based ecosystem work.

per section 1.1.2

This Reference Architecture Foundation is an abstract realization of SOA, focusing on the elements and
their relationships needed to enable SOA-based systems to be used, realized and owned; while avoiding
reliance on specific concrete technologies.

In section 1.1.1, we say the "key concepts and their relationships" is the RM.

2. What is its purpose?

It is not a prescription for an actual architecture. It is not possible to use the RAF as a 'blueprint' for a particular solution. However, it can definitely be used to verify the scope and purpose of any architecture and technology aimed at building SOA-based ecosystems.

Let's lead with what the RAF is and not with what it isn't:

While the RM talks to concepts and their relationships, the RAF identifies architectural elements that will appear in a SOA solution.  This still requires design of a concrete architecture - one doesn't build a solution from the RAF - but with the RAF as a guide, the RAF elements should be identifiable in the concrete architecture.

3. How does it relate to Web services, Rest Services, SOAML, etc.

The RAF is significantly higher-level in purpose and scope than particular technologies such as Web service and Rest-ful services. We have expressly avoided adopting any particular technology.

However, if you want to see how to apply web service technology then the RAF gives important guidance. It identifies key requirements that need to be addressed in areas of using and combining services, security, governance and in the social structures that need to be representing in a true SOA ecosystem.

One thing that the RAF is not, is a specific guide on how to build an SOA ecosystem to meet a particular problem. For that, the SOAML represents excellent tool for elucidating the particulars of an actual system.

4. What is in the RAF?

The RAF is composed of three main sections, or views. The first addresses what a SOA ecosystem is, in terms of the people involved and their relationship to the technology driving a SOA system. The second addresses some of the key elements of building SOA ecosystems; the importance of descriptions, the importance and role of interaction and of policies. The third section focuses on what it means to own a SOA ecosystem. This section focuses on the governance of SOA ecosystems, the management of SOA systems, what testing means in the context of a large-scale system that is never rebooted, and the key aspects of security in SOA ecosystems.

5. What is a Joint Action? (sic)

In order for services to deliver, it requires the interaction between the consumers and the providers of services. Interaction between participants in a SOA ecosystem is mediated electronically. These participants are potentially in different ownership domains. In order for two participants to interact they must simultaneously act individually and in concert: individually in terms of the communications sent and received, in concert in terms of the interactions they are part of.

A joint action is any action that requires two or more participants. A simple example is communication: every communication requires both a speaker and a listener. (Although there may be more than one of each). Without both roles being exercised, there is no communication: it is inherently joint in nature.

In fact, the interactions between service providers and consumers has many levels in which the concept of joint action applies. At the lowest levels, simply sending and receiving messages is joint in nature. At higher levels, the actions that are mediated by communication are also joint in nature: opening accounts, broadcasting emergency information, buying and selling goods. At still higher levels, actions may often involve the social status of the participants. Signing contracts changes the status of participants: promises are made and policies are established. These social actions are also inherently joint in nature.

6. What is different from PR1?

While PR1 established many of the aspects of the RAF a great deal of refinement in many areas of the RAF have been adjusted. The Ecosystem view, in particular, has seen the greatest refinement. However, we have also added significant new sections in the form of governance and testing. In addition, the name of the specification itself has changed. The addition of the term "Foundation" reflects an appreciation of the relationship between our work and the work of others in the sphere of SOA-based systems.

Governance has been revised in places but is essentially the same as in PR1.  The ecosystem view has seen the most significant changes and I think the security section and possibly others are noticeably different. I need to sit down with PR1 and PR2 side by side to answer this.

7. What happens next?

While the RAF is substantially complete; there are definite areas that need further work. In particular the governance and management sections need more refinement. However, the committee believes that the current work is sufficiently well developed that observers of the effort deserve the opportunity to comment on the specification.

I would replace the middle sentence with:  In particular, governance is essentially complete but we need to decide how to elaborate management and whether that will be integral to the governance material or separate as it appears in PR2.  The ecosystem view has seen major work since PR1 and there are still significant discussions to be completed there.