Subject: RE: OASIS SOA-EERP Whitepaper

I don’t think that is correct.

A capability addresses a need – it is a *potential* to perform a service - the need is satisfied by using the capability: the service.

Capabilities don’t “perform” anything, they just “are”. The performance of a service – delivering a real world effect – depends on there being a capability but is not the same thing.

Cheers,

Peter

From: Bashioum, Christopher D [mailto:cbashioum@mitre.org]
Sent: Thu, 01 April 2010 11:09
To: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Laskey, Ken
Subject: [soa-rm] OASIS SOA-EERP Whitepaper

Has anyone else from the SOA RM TC reviewed the OASIS SOA-EERP whitepaper

http://docs.oasis-open.org/soa-eerp/whitepaper/EERP-Model-UseCase-WhitePaper-cd03.pdf

They reference the RM, however, there is one paragraph that caught my attention:

Services are performed by people, machines, and hardware/software applications, and represented by SOA services. The qualities of a business service are expressed by means of the Business Quality of Service (bQoS) specification. The nature of bQoS varies across industries and services.

The RM would change this to

Capabilities are performed by people, machines, and hardware/software applications, and represented by SOA services. The qualities of a business service are expressed by means of the Business Quality of Service (bQoS) specification. The nature of bQoS varies across industries and services.

I think we may need to do something about addressing the idea of a capability that is intended for “others”, i.e., a business service – which is enabled in Software by a SOA service in front of a capability.  We’ve talked about it, but I think a whitepaper on this will be useful.

Note that such a whitepaper would also go a long way towards helping to navigate the SOA Standards landscape, as I think the main issue between the various SDOs on SOA is about using the term “service” to mean “functionality intended for others” vs. as an IT artifact that enables access to such funtionality (which is the RM view).

Thoughts?